Whether you’re waking up this morning minding your New Year’s resolution or are looking for a scrumptious hearty brunch that’s sure to be a crowdpleaser, here’s an easy way to satisfy your hunger. Usually if you go out for brunch or breakfast the question comes up in some form, “Bacon or sausage?” Let’s be honest – who doesn’t love bacon AND sausage with their eggs? Here’s a way to get all three. The trick to this delicious breakfast is to have a little patience and don’t be afraid to make a bit of a mess. Trust me it’ll be worth it in the long run. Scotch eggs are a seemingly decadent protein punch that you can either fry or if you’re going the lighter route, bake them. The chili candied bacon paired with these eggs adds a sweet and spicy side of more protein that is sure to satisfy. Either of these pieces can be served separately as well for party snacks, but why not go all out on brunch?
- 1 pound of ground pork or Italian sausage
- 10 eggs
- bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard
- salt & pepper
- 8 cups frying oil
- 1/8 cup blue cheese crumbles (optional)
- peppadews (optional)
- 1 1/2 pounds of thick cut bacon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
I’ve found it best to start with the bacon that way you can let it cook while you boil the eggs. Also if your timing is right it will let you focus on the Scotch eggs as it cools and everything will be ready to enjoy at the same time.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Cover baking sheets with parchment paper and lay the strips of bacon out.
- In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar and chili powder.
- Coat the bacon with the mixture and bake until caramelized, roughly 22 minutes.
- Set on a drying rack to cool.
Like I stated above these are an experience and can be quite messy to make. The payoff is totally worth it with a delectable creation, so have a little fun and enjoy!
- Place 6 eggs in a pot of salted water and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and cover for 4-5 minutes then transfer to another bowl with an ice bath.
- While the eggs are cooking setup an egg wash with bowls of flour, 2 beaten eggs, and breadcrumbs
- Mix together well the sausage and mustard, then add salt & pepper to taste
- Heat up 8 cups of oil to 300 degrees or medium high heat.
- Flour your hands then coat each egg in flour and wrap in sausage .
- Roll the sausage wrapped egg coating in beaten egg and evenly in the bread crumbs
- Place the egg in the oil to fry gently rolling to maintain a round shape
- Fry for 4 minutes then place on parchment paper to cool
- After the eggs have cooled slice in half and enjoy!